About the Journal
Aims and Scope
Cell Structure and Function is a fully peer-reviewed, fully Open Access journal. As the official English-language journal of the Japan Society for Cell Biology, it is published continuously online and biannually in print. Cell Structure and Function publishes important, original contributions in all areas of molecular and cell biology. The journal welcomes the submission of manuscripts on research areas such as the cell nucleus, chromosomes, and gene expression; the cytoskeleton and cell motility; cell adhesion and the extracellular matrix; cell growth, differentiation and death; signal transduction; the protein life cycle; membrane traffic; and organelles.
The journal publishes five article types: Full Articles, Short Communications, Mini-Reviews and Reviews, Technical Notes and Perspectives. Full Articles and Short Communications report original research not published elsewhere. The remaining article types can be summaries of previous research, but must add important insight or a fresh perspective.
The audience of Cell Structure and Function includes research scientists in academia or industry who work on cell biology or related life sciences, individuals working on the application of research in these fields, clinicians, students and other interested individuals. The journal strives to be an important outlet for the publication of excellent research and an essential part of communication in molecular and cell biology.
Manuscripts should be written in clear, grammatically correct English. Author(s) whose native language is not English are strongly encouraged to have their manuscript checked by a native English speaker or by services such as those at INLEXIO (www.inlexio.com/editing) prior to submission. If a manuscript is not clear due to poor English, it may be rejected without undergoing peer review.
Volume 41 (2016); Two issues per year
ISSN (Print): 0386-7196
ISSN (Online): 1347-3700
Published online at J-STAGE: https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/browse/csf
Editor-in-Chief and Editorial Board
The Editorial Board comprises an Editor-in-Chief and an Editorial Board of experts in cell and molecular biology from around the world. The Editor-in-Chief is Professor Hiroshi Ohno of RIKEN, Japan.
Editorial and peer review process
The Editor-in-Chief allocates submitted manuscripts to an Associate Editor, who acts as the Monitoring Editor in charge of peer review. The Monitoring Editor selects two appropriate reviewers to provide their assessment of the manuscript. Once their reviews have been received, the Monitoring Editor decides whether the manuscript requires revision. Authors who are asked to revise their manuscript must do so within two months, otherwise it will be treated as a new submission. The Editor-in-Chief makes the final decision on each manuscript based on the Monitoring Editor’s recommendation.
Impact Factor and journal databases
The 2015 Impact Factor of Cell Structure and Function is 1.969, placing it 144th of 187 journals in the ‘Cell Biology’ category (Journal Citation Reports © 2016).
Cell Structure and Function is fully indexed in MEDLINE and PubMed; Chemport (CAS); Thomson Reuters products such as Science Citation Index, Web of Science and Journal Citation Reports; Elsevier’s Scopus; SCImago; and other relevant databases.
Cell Structure and Function follows the Committee on Publication Ethics (COPE) guidelines to manage cases of potential ethical concern.
Cell Structure and Function is a fully Open Access journal that is freely accessible online via the J-STAGE platform. Authors retain the copyright in their work and grant the journal a license to publish. Users have certain rights to share, distribute and re-use published content under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) license. This license allows various uses without any need to contact the publisher or author. Full details are available at the Creative Commons website and brief explanations can be found at the end of the journal’s License to Publish form.
To support the publication of Cell Structure and Function, the journal charges a modest article processing charge (APC) of ¥100,000 for all article types except commissioned Reviews and Mini-reviews, which are free to publish.
Cell Structure and Function uses Scholar One to handle manuscript submission and peer review. Please ensure your manuscript adheres to the journal’s Instructions to Authors before submitting via the journal’s ScholarOne site.
Benefits to authors
The Japan Society for Cell Biology and Cell Structure and Function aim to serve the cell biology community. By publishing your work in the journal, you and your co-authors benefit from:
- • Expert, personalized peer review and editorial advice. The Cell Structure and Function Editorial Board, led by Professor Hiroshi Ohno (RIKEN, Japan), comprises more than 90 senior academics in cell biology.
- • Rapid peer review and online publication. The median time from submission to first decision is 21 days and the median time from acceptance to publication is 19 days.
- • Enhanced discoverability. The large J-STAGE platform allows discoverability by all the major search engines.
- • International reach. In addition to being seen and read by the 1200-strong membership of the Japan Society for Cell Biology, your publication will be freely available to readers worldwide.
- • Free article alerts. RSS feeds and automatic email alerts (via J-STAGE) notify registrants as soon as your article has been published.
- • Author copyright. You retain copyright to your work, which is published under an internationally recognized Creative Commons license.
- • Affordable article processing charges. Open Access publication costs only ¥100,000 (approximately US$900) for all article types except commissioned Reviews and Mini-reviews, which are free to publish.
- • Compliance with funding requirements. The journal’s Open Access policies support you in adhering to funding mandates.
Cell Structure and Function
E-mail: csf[at]nacos.com (Please replace [at] with @)